Doki Doki Literature Club is an indie visual novel created by Dan Salvato, and follows a plot as simple as cake. Here is a guide on how to complete this visual novel. I will try my best to keep this spoiler-free. In any way, here is a correct order in how to play DDLC.
Route 1: Monika
- First, play through the game blindly. What I mean is that during occasional segments, you are asked to compose a poem based on words they give you. Right now for your first play through, just randomly choose words and go with the story.
- After you reach “END”, you’ll find all your game saves deleted and the words “New Game” replaced by some technical jumble. Click on it to begin the second half of your first play through. Continue on with the story until you reach what you see in that picture of Monika.
- Wait until she mentions “staring into each other’s eyes” and wait for a bit until the next batch of text appears. At that point, quit the game. At this point you may reload the game up again to get some bonus dialogue, but it doesn’t effect your game play. If you did indeed reload, quit out again.
- Head to your game files, and enter the characters folder. Delete Monika’s file and reload the game once again. Follow the story and you’ll return to the main menu.
- Click “new game” and go along with the story once again. Any choices that appear don’t matter as you will end up with the same ending.
- View the end credits, and uninstall the game. The easiest way to do this is via Steam. Reinstall the game for a fresh and brand new start.
The Three Girls
In order to achieve the “true” ending, you must have ALL the CG images by the time you reach the end credits, which then dialogue will indicate that you have done so.
- You have now uninstalled and reinstalled the game from Steam for a fresh and brand new start. Go with the story and SAVE THIS AS YOU FIRST LOAD once you reach the poem selection scene. Now you need to gear your poems towards the heroines to get their two CG pictures. Do this for the first two days to receive them. The third day won’t matter.
- Her words are as follows: Adventure, Alone, Amazing, Awesome, Bed, Beauty, Bliss, Broken, Calm, Charm, Cheer, Childhood, Clumsy, Color, Comfort, Cry, Dance, Dark, Daydream, Dazzle, Death, Defeat, Depression, Embrace, Empty, Excitement, Extraordinary, Family, Fear, Feather, Fireflies, Fireworks, Flower, Flying, Forgive, Friends, Fun, Grief, Happiness, Heart, Holiday, Hope, Hopeless, Hurt, Joy, Laugh, Lazy, Loud, Love, Lucky, Marriage, Memories, Misery, Misfortune, music, Nature, Ocean, Passion, Peaceful, Pain, Party, Play, Prayer, Precious, Promise, Rainbow, Raincloud, Romance, Rose, Sadness, Scars, Shame, Sing, Smile, Sparkle, Special, Sunny, Sunset, Sweet, Tears, Together, Tragedy, Treasure, Unrequited, Vacation, Warm, Wonderful
- On the third day, you’re given a choice whenever to hang out with either one of the four girls, but only Natsuki or Yuri’s choice will advance the game. You can choose either.
- On the weekend choice, you’re given a 2nd choice. Click “I love you.” After you reach the scene where Sayori hugs the protagonist, save your game NOW as your second load, and reload your first load, or else you’ll reach “that” scene and will be forced to play through Monika’s route again (which you don’t want).
- Reload your first save after saving at Sayori hugging the protagonist as your first save.
- This time, gear your two poems towards Natsuki. Her words are: Anger, Anime, Blanket, Boop, Bouncy, Bubbles, Bunny, Candy, Cheeks, Chocolate, Clouds, Cute, Doki doki, Games, Giggle, Email, Fantasy, Fluffy, Hair, Hop, Headphones, Heartbeat, Jump, Jumpy, Lipstick, Kawaii, Kiss, Kitty, Lollipop, Marshmallow, Melody, Milk, Mouse, Nibble, Nightgown, Papa, Parfait, Peace, Pink, Playground, Poof, Pout, Pure, Puppy, Ribbon, Swimsuit, Shiny, Shopping, Skipping, Socks, Spinning, Sticky, Strawberry, Sugar, Summer, Twirl, Waterfall, Whisper, Whistle, Valentine, Vanilla
- At the hangout selection, choose Natsuki for convenient consistency. You can skip her dialogue if you already had already read it during Sayori’s route.
- After receiving the baking CGs, save this as your third save, and reload your first save again.
- After receiving the baking CGs with Natsuki, save that as your third save, and reload up your first save for poem selection and gear it towards Yuri.
- Her words are: Afterimage, Agonizing, Ambient, Analysis, Anxiety, Atone, Aura, Breathe, Cage, Captive, Climax, Contamination, Covet, Crimson, Desire, Destiny, Determination, Disarray, Disaster, Disoriented, Despise, Disown, Dream, Effulgent, Electricity, Entropy, Essence, Eternity, Existence, Explode, Extreme, Fester, Fickle, Flee, Frightening, Graveyard, Heavensent, Horror, Imagination, Incapable, Incongruent, Infallible, Inferno, Infinite, Insight, Intellectual, Journey, Judgment, Lust, Landscape, Massacre, Meager, Melancholy, Philosophy, Pleasure, Portrait, Question, Raindrops, Secretive, Sensation, Starscape, Suicide, Tenacious, Time, Uncontrollable, Uncanny, Unending, Universe, Unrestrained, Unstable, Variance, Vertigo, Vibrant, Vitality, Vivacious, Vivid, Whirlwind, Wrath
- At the hangout selection, choose Yuri for convenient consistency. You can skip her dialogue if you already had already read it during Sayori’s route.
- Keep going for this one. No saving required. Once you reach “END”, you’ll jump into the “true, best, and final” version of Monika’s ending.
That’s it. Once you receive a thank you note from Dan Salvato, you have beat the game. Hope you enjoyed it. 🙂